The crane tank, Southwick, was built in 1942 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn for the William Doxford & Sons Ltd shipbuilders of Sunderland.
The crane tank was taken out of use in 1971 and purchased for preservation by a Society member. It was transported to the Dinting Railway Centre and was occasionally steamed until boiler repairs became necessary.
Following the closure of Dinting in 1990, Southwick was sold to two members who had it transported to Ingrow with the rest of the BLS collection, where it is ‘on loan’ to the Society.
The crane tank is currently undergoing overhaul by Society volunteers. The primary aim is to attain a rolling chassis to ease movement in and around the Ingrow yard while funds can be found to manufacture a new firebox.